When it comes to health and fitness, there is never the ‘one-right- way’ to follow because the human body is built in a peculiar way, so there cannot be ‘one-size- fits-all’. The best way forward is to choose what suits you the best. These days, there is a lot of buzz around juicing and blending. High in vitamins and packed with micronutrients, both of these options will deliver precious nutrition to your body.
A blender is a staple in most kitchens. It is no surprise then, that smoothies have taken off as a breakfast option in the last few years. Green smoothies (a mixture of fruit and green vegetables) are becoming very popular as a way of consuming the all important 5 nutrients – a – day. The benefits offered by blending are given below:
● Blending your fruit and vegetables is a great way of retaining fiber which is important for digestion.
● Fiber slows the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream and enables the body to move food through the digestive tract.
● Fiber is satiating and hence, ends up keeping you fuller for longer.
● Blending also enables you to be able to incorporate other healthy foods such as nuts and seeds to give the smoothie a full profile of macronutrients.
Long popular with fans of detoxing, juicing removes the fiber from the fruits and vegetables processed and makes them easily drinkable. Although fresh juice contains the same nutrients as the original fruit and vegetables, the juicing process removes fibers making the juice more concentrated, and so easier to digest and absorb into the bloodstream. Consequently juicing is a more effective way to absorb high concentrations of nutrients (vitamins, minerals and enzymes) from fruits and vegetables into the body. Following are just a few of the benefits of
● Juicing allows for quicker digestion and an improved rate of absorption of nutrients into the body.
● Juicing leads to increased absorption of nutrients will have two general effects on the body: more nutrients will get to your cells and tissues, and the body will be better able to detoxify.
● Juicing gives your stomach and intestines a rest as it removes hard to digest fibers.
Mim Kleiberg is a Star 3 Spinning Instructor, Holistic Health Coach, personal trainer and Co-owner of THE ROOM Abu Dhabi with qualifications in Olympic Weight Lifting, Kettle-bells & Functional Training.